What we did
In-service rebrand and refurbishment
Client: South Western Railway (First Group & MTR)
- When South Western Railway took over the London & South Western franchise they needed an experienced livery provider to deliver their new brand identity.
- As a collaboration between First Group & MTR, SWR pledged to increase capacity and improve customer experience with new trains and the refurbishment of the existing fleet.
- In preparation for launch day, Stewart Signs were tasked with delivering the first example of these improvements – painting and wrapping a 5-carriage Class 444 unit within a 5-day working window.
- With the launch details under a strict non-disclosure agreement, SWR required complete discretion and commitment to project schedule for this top-secret, time-critical project.
- With an immovable launch deadline to meet, Stewart Signs had the capability to mobilise the project from design to installation within 4 weeks
- As a turnkey supplier for in-service train refurbishment, Stewart Signs took on surface preparation and painting duties prior to the wrap installation, maximising the finish and durability of the new corporate look.
- A combination of exclusive material specifications to would maximise durability, warranty, asset protection and enhance corporate brand.
- Project collaborations helped deliver additional supply chain benefits throughout the process;
- Support for DG Design helped develop the new corporate livery in only 2 weeks.
- Intricately choreographed workstreams with Siemens enabled repainting of the train roof alongside livery application to minimise downtime.
- Additional production and installation teams were available on standby to ensure the unit would be completed perfectly for the launch
- Provision of all new interior labeling – redesigned to compliment the exterior brand.
- Management information reported from site ensured daily progress updates to keep key personnel informed of OTIF delivery.
- Capturing the entire process from preparation to launch delivery on video, Stewart Signs provided SWR with a project video marketing teams could use to illustrate the comprehensive refurbishment process to press and public.