Chapter 8 Vehicle Markings
For Cars, Vans & Specialist Vehicles
Stewart Signs provide a dedicated service for vehicle safety markings, where you can source professionally templated and factory engineered full or part rear chevron kits for all leading makes of van, car and specialist vehicles.
Why you need to be Chapter 8 compliant
Although Chapter 8 is not yet legislation, many local authorities, highway construction and maintenance companies have now adopted these guidelines as best practice and will not allow work vehicles onto site unless they are Chapter 8 compliant with appropriate safety markings and lighting.
Does my commercial vehicle need to be Chapter 8 compliant?
Yes, if your van is stopping or in use for works purposes on any highway or high speed road.
Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual specifies chevron safety markings and lighting in order to be safety compliant. Chapter 8 is not yet legislation, but many highway organisations have adopted these guidelines as best practice and will only allow Chapter 8 compliant vehicles onto their work sites.
Specialist Hi-Vis advice available from Stewart Signs
What Hi-Vis markings do I need to be compliant?
Depending on the work purpose of your vehicle, Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual specifies a variety of criteria in order to mark vehicles with Hi-Vis.
Hi-Vis Checklist for Chapter 8
Use our checklist below to find the right products that apply to your vehicle and its use on the highway.
Vehicle is used for works purposes or stopping on any highway or high speed road require the following markings to meet Chapter 8 Guidelines:
- Conspicuous colour vehicle (white or yellow) *OR Fluorescent Yellow retroreflective striping not less than 50mm wide along the length of the vehicle.
- Highway Maintenance Labels: or Motorway Maintenance labeling.
- Reflective Door Strips Red: reflective tape to all rear facing edges of doors, guardrails and equipment lockers.
- Reflective red and fluorescent yellow chevrons on the rear covering as much of the rear facing portion of the vehicle as possible.
- Additional markings: Where rear facing high visibility markings may be obscured by any device mounted on the vehicle (e.g. cherry picker bucket) high visibility markings should also be applied to the face of the device.
As stipulated in the Chapter 8 guidelines, all the Stewart Signs Hi-Vis chevron specifications comprise of alternate strips of fluorescent red retro-reflective material and fluorescent yellow non-reflective material of not less than 150mm width each, inclined at 45-60. We also offer chevron material upgrades to micro-prismatic films where higher visibility is required.
Additional items such as roof beacons; crash cushions; automatic break systems; signing; reversing bleepers; seat belts and CCTV are also required for certain vehicles in addition to the markings we provide. For further information on these items please consult the following official documents.
Why are there Premium and Standard chevron kits available?
Most vehicles affected by Chapter 8 guidelines only require our Standard kits to comply, however there are certain vehicles which are required to bear stronger visibility markings.
Our Premium grade reflective is up to 9x more visible at night and is used by vehicles stopping in fast moving traffice that need to be seen from that extra distance, eg:
- Traffic management/maintenance vehicles (personnel/equipment carrier)
- Equipment installation/removal vehicles
- Impact protection vehicles
- Equipment installation/removal vehicles
For more details on the types of vehicles requiring Premium Kits please consult Section 0.5 of the official Chapter 8 guidelines.
What to expect from our Hi-Vis chevron kits?
Here’s a few reasons why national fleet managers and signwriters up and down the country choose to order kits from us:
- Easy to apply: Our pre-aligned chevron panels will save you lots of time, trouble and money. Every standard chevron kit is supplied with the red pre-applied to the the yellow saving you time and making the application easier than any other kit on the market. With detailed fitting instructions and access to our unique online application video you cant go wrong.
- Easy to handle: To save you time and effort our Standard chevron kits come cut to shape for your chosen vehicle.Choose from our extensive library of templated van types. Our Hi-Vis chevrons come pre-aligned in one piece ready to apply to the body panel.
- Built to last: You’ll find only the best 3M™ materials in our chevron kits. Stay Chapter 8 compliant and smart with Stewart Signs Hi-Vis, or source something cheap and often doesnt meet requirements and will quickly start to fade.
- A great deal: Our kits are competitively priced and demonstrably better value – dont be fooled by cheap immitations which may look the part but dont comply with the Department for Transport Guidelines. Always keep an eye open for our frequent special offers, and we offer special loyalty incentives for our growing base of regular trade and high volume users.
- Reliable: We’ve been around a long time (est: 1963) and we’re here to stay. We’ll be there to support you when you need us, a promise backed by our satisfaction guarantee.
- Easy to deal with: You can order online or by phone. Our Hi-Vis helpdesk is there to give you advice and support
Mon-Fri 9:30am – 5pm 02380 254 781 or send us an email.